You brighten my day..

Monday, November 15, 2010

Sankt Martinstag.

Nov 11th is Sankt Martinstag or St. Martin's day.  On this day, the streets of Germany are filled with children in procession holding lanterns in their hand, usually behind "St. Martin" in his Roman's soldier uniform and riding a white horse. The cold wintry evening of November is resounded with the children's voices singing to "Ich geh' mit meiner Laterne" translated to "I'm walking with my lantern".






Houses along the path of the procession light the way with candles.



The procession then ends with a Martinsfeuer (bonfire).

3 comments:

  1. Wow......thanks for sharing the German culture with us. I feel more traveled when I read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love the warm glow of lanterns and fires at night. Thanks for showing s this piece of life in Germany!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have that here too..but we had a giant storm that night and I couldnt spot one kid out there. I just love the lanterns they carry!

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you stop by to say a few words...