You brighten my day..

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Plum Crumble

For those of you who have been reading my posts, you will know that we were invited to the night watchman's tour of Lohr am Main. After the tour we proceeded to celebrate the 13th birthday of our good friends T&S's daughter. T is British, S German. So they always have a mix of both german and british cuisine on their table. The desert for the night was British Plum Crumble. It's a kind of plum pudding with plums(or any other soft fruit) for the base and a crumble mix of flour, sugar, and egg sprinkled on the top and baked.  It sounded very easy to prepare and I was determined to bake it this week. 
By now, you must also be aware that I am home alone with my daughter. Well, today sonny also joined us and so we were a trio!!  Home early meant plenty of iPad time or that's what he thought. He loves reading(I know its a good habit), but he has given up his books for the little pad. Determined to reduce the time spent on the electronic tablet(I had hid it) I invited him to join me in baking. 
The pitting of the first 5 plums were like this:
Sonny: Where is the iPad?
Me: We are baking now. Forget the thing.
Sonny: Once I am done pitting the plums will you tell me?
Me: Will see about that.....
By the time he was on the 10th, he not only was engrossed, he wanted to do the whole preparation all by himself. I let him...:) So here's how he did it....


Wash well and pit 3 pounds or one and a quarter kilograms of plums. Cut them into halves.


Combine plums and quarter cup brown sugar to blend well.


Lightly butter a baking dish..


Arrange plums in them..


Sift together 1 cup all purpose flour, 1 cup granulated sugar, half a teaspoon each of salt and cinnamon powder. Beat an egg and stir into the flour mixture stirring lightly with fork until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle mixture evenly over the plums.


Melt half a cup of butter and drizzle over the crumble(I did this step). Bake plum crumble at 190 degrees celsius for 45 minutes or until lightly browned.


Serve warm with whipped topping or ice cream.


That night we had it with ice cream, today as it is. Either way, it tastes delicious. Not only did sonny enjoy the whole episode, he wants to try his hand at whipping more dishes. I think some day, his wife is gonna thank me...:D



Give me your best shot at Better in BulkPhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and Lolli

9 comments:

  1. Hi May,
    I have to send this link to my mom...I think she makes something like this!
    PS The birds on my blog are sandhill cranes, very graceful, large and very noisy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous post May! Loved the pictures & the fact that your sonny boy enjoyed the baking!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi May..... Could you send some to Scoltand???? Cause I really wanna dig my teeth into that crumble..... The blog and the dish are both deliciously exciting! tell Markie never to give up his habit of reading! and yeah, you could also send him here. A cook would be of great help here :-).....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are right! Oh my it turned out delicious looking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks delicious May, wonderful to have your children learn kitchen skills too.
    Interesting how the plum flesh was green yet the skins colour everything pink/plum once cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, does that look yummy or what?! :-)

    Thanks for your always so kind comments, I appreciate that a lot. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a wonderful plum cake. Have a nice and sunny weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW!! That looks so yummy!! I bet is was great with Ice Cream.

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you stop by to say a few words...